The world of technology is changing at an ever increasing pace, and is making its way into more and more of our everyday life. It is important to equip the next generation with the skills, critical thinking capabilities and confidence to learn new technologies. In this class kids will be challenged to be creators of technology, not just consumers.
This class is designed to introduce young learners, to the basics of coding and computer science. Each week we will spend some time exploring fundamental concepts, developing necessary skills, practicing coding using free, open source software and having ongoing dialogue about computational and critical thinking. This class is designed for students in elementary and middle school, but we welcome all ages to participate.
BYOD: This is a Bring Your Own Device meeting. You will need a laptop (not a tablet or mobile device). If you need a device, please contact us in advance and we will do our best to find one.
What to Expect:
- 15 minutes: Warm-up Activity - set up, skills practice time.
- 30 minutes: Group Activity - introduction to CS concepts.
- 5 minute: Introduction - explanation of coding activity.
- 50 minutes: Coding Activity - hands on coding time.
- 15 minutes: Reflection & Sharing - discussion about what we learned, challenges.
- 5 minutes: Pack Up